Thursday, August 4, 2011

Soft Gum Tissue Grafting

How did I find my soft gum tissue grafting professional? I went online and looked for the Florida Association of  Periodontists. Only few doctors in our area had websites available. I found one that had a website with seventeen testimonials, all positive. Can you imagine that? I was really excited about that.

I went to this local periodontist and after two hours of x-rays, checking, taking pictures and examination the end result was that my periodontal gum disease and gum recession already was at a stage that I needed gum surgery. Secretly feared, now reality, I needed "new gums".

My soft gum tissue grafting was scheduled for two months later. I was pretty naive and not prepared for what would follow at all. I only knew I wanted to get rid of my receding gums. It was pretty scary to see the exposed roots and to fear my teeth could get loos and fell out.

Want to know what gum tissue grafting is?
Gum tissue grafts are normally used to build over and improve the weak and chronically infected and inflamed gum tissue that are the reason for the exposed roots. After the operation, all root surfaces should be covered. As gum tissue grafts can be used tissue from the own mouth or donor material.

Causes of gum recession in the first place can be bad oral health, gum disease, or stress to only name a few.

Gum Grafting Before and After
Before the gum grafting operation I only knew that I would have an operation and my roots should be covered and look like before. I really wasn't prepared what would come.

The operation took four hours and went pretty well. I didn't have any pain during the operation and after. I followed the periodontist's instructions, took holistic pills to prevent the gums from swelling and pain killers after the operation.

What I didn't realize was that I couldn't eat anything for at least a week, only drink smoothies and shakes. I could only open my mouth a little bit and not brush my teeth at all. I am sure you can imagine how hard this was. Especially if you have gum disease and already struggling with cleaning your teeth, your fear of decaying teeth grows.

After a week I went back to the periodontist who checked my gums and cleaned my teeth. Because of the stitches I couldn't open my mouse a lot so I had another week where I couldn't eat anything. Two weeks only drinking and not eating at all was pretty tough and made me a little frustrated and depressed.

But seeing my "new gums" after four weeks was amazing! The gum grafting was done very well and I am pretty happy I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment