Sunday, July 4, 2010

Gingivitis

After having swollen and infected gums for so many years, my gums developed gingivitis. It was so painful and sad looking in the mirror and seeing my infected, swollen and bleeding gums.


As I still lived in Germany, I went to my dentist every 6 months for a dental cleaning. He always spoke about my Amalgam fillings, and that I would have to remove them soon but never really paid attention to my gums. He said it would go away when I would clean my teeth better.

I moved from Germany to the USA in April 2005. With no dental insurance, I wanted to wait and see how long I could make it without dental cleaning. This was my first big mistake. But I didn't learn from it. Read more in my future postings.

As I visited a local dentist in Miami in May 2006, he told me that I needed a deep dental cleaning. He never spoke about that I have Gingivitis, so I had no clue what happened and why I needed a deep cleaning. I knew that my gums were infected but not why. I asked him and his answer was again that I didn't brush my teeth properly. I got so tired of this answer. Seeing the result of cleaning my teeth and gums wrong but not really knowing what was the reason for it made me crazy.

I went to two deep dental cleaning treatments, and he charged me a huge amount of money but without educating me how I could take care of the Gingivitis (now I know what it was) in the future.


Underestimating what it meant I brushed and flossed my teeth how I was used to and how the dentist showed me but the swollen and bleeding gums still didn't improve.

I got used to it and thought I could live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment