Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tooth Whitening System

My holistic dentist recommended to use a tooth whitening system to whiten my teeth at home. She took molds from the teeth to prepare a custom tray.

I never whitened my teeth before. As a German teeth whitening isn't a natural process for me. If we should have white teeth by nature, they would be white. My teeth are yellow since I remember. It doesn't disturb me so much. Perhaps it doesn't look great, but it isn't a sign of unhealthiness. More than that, my gums and teeth are so sensitive that I didn't want to try it before.

It wasn't be a big deal in Germany but in the USA almost everybody has white teeth. My dentist suggested to whiten my teeth before I would get my braces that minimize my outlined bite and protect my gums so I would look prettier :-) So I brought home the 3M ESPE White & BriteTM tooth whitening system and the tooth paste 3M ESPE SootheRx therapy for sensitive teeth, a tooth paste for cleaning and brushing my teeth after the whitening process.

The first time I tried it, I did it for an hour, and it was OK. I applied a drop of the whitening gel in the face-side of each tooth space in the custom tray and waited. After an hour, I took off the custom tray and the teeth were whitened BETWEEN the teeth but not on the front. Too funny! I realized there is a science behind this too.

The second time I applied a drop higher on the face-side of each tooth in the custom tray and after 20 minutes, my gums started to burn. I didn't give up and waited for an hour. The gums relaxed and the teeth were a little bit whiter BETWEEN the teeth.

I read the instructions again and realized that it said "Apply a small amount of whitening gel in the face-side of each tooth space NOT in the face-side of each custom tray tooth space. How funny how silly you can be if you do things the first time :-)


I will try it again tonight and let you know!


Did you every try to whiten your teeth at home? How did it work for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment