Sunday, July 4, 2010

Gum Disease Treatment

Moving from Miami to a small town on the East Coast of Florida, it again took me six months to visit a dentist. In Germany I had dental insurance (everybody who is employed in Germany is fully covered him or herself and also their families through the health insurance system that includes dental insurance. You pay a small amount for a regular check-up or dental cleaning when you go to the dentist.)

Still without dental insurance in the USA I had to go to the cheapest dentist who only gave me a "regular" dental cleaning what is like no dental cleaning at all.

As I could finally afford a good dentist after a year, I needed another deep dental cleaning. But this time, I met a wonderful dental hygienist who spoiled me with positive attention and really caring about my teeth and gums.

It is funny that many dentists mainly see your teeth. They always want to put crowns, caps or fillings in your mouth but don't really care about swollen and bleeding gums.

My dental hygienist gave me after this deep dental cleaning the medial oral care rinse Gel-Kam as a gum disease treatment (you need a prescription). I had to take it for several weeks but it really helped healing my gums a lot. This oral care rinse is really great if you need a gum disease treatment to
  • prevent decay
  • minimize plaque on our teeth
  • take care of exposed roots
  • heal Gingivitis
  • help with tooth sensitivity

It worked very well and improved my swollen and infected gums. I could see that the gums changed colors from dark red to light pink and the fine red line in the gums between the teeth (a signal that they are infected) totally disappeared. The plaque had fewer chances to build up.

For two years, I went to her every three months for a regular dental cleaning. It wasn't cheap but it helped to hold my developed Gingivitis in place. My gums were less infected and swollen and the bleeding improved too. It was a huge improvement to my situation before.

So much I liked the dental hygienist, whenever the annual x-rays and dental check came up the dentist always wanted to sell me crowns and didn't listen to my gum concerns at all. He did it so aggressive that I didn't want to go back to my hygienist after the last cleaning in December 2009.

And with this decision, my painful odyssey begun. It was a huge mistake to stop the dental cleaning. Now I know that everybody who has Gingivitis needs a dental cleaning every three months or less. I didn't realize this before.

Learning through experience can be very eye-opening!

No comments:

Post a Comment